Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Non-Written Novels

Top 5 Wednesday is a group of bloggers, booktubers and bookstagrammers posting on a common topic every (you guessed it) Wednesday. You can find the lists by searching #T5W or Top 5 Wednesday. And you can join the group on Goodreads if you want to participate.


This week's topic is Favorite Non-Written Novels.

This topic is all about the books that are not 'written' novels! So graphic novels, comics, manga, audiobooks, etc. I love this one! I read a ton of graphic novels and manga and I don't get to talk about my favorites as much as I would like to. That being said, it was super hard to narrow this down to a top five list.
 

5. Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen
 If you're not reading the Sarah's Scribbles comic, you need to go remedy that now! This collection documents modern life of a generation of young people from the awkward to the horrifying to the not so classy moments we all experience. It's laugh out loud hilarious and I can't help relating to so many of the comics. It's so great!


4. Soppy by Philippa Rice
This collection is absolutely adorable! It documents all those small everyday moments of being in love with someone. I adore this little book! It's one of my go to pick me up reads.


3. The Ancient Magus' Bride by Kore Yamazaki
This is a manga series that I just picked up a few weeks ago. It's a human learning magic from an inhuman mage and that inhuman mage learning how to be human. It's the perfect combination of silly, whimsical, and dark that creates a sort of twisted fairy tale. I'm intrigued to see where they go with this. Also, it's being made into an anime!


2. Heart and Brain by Nick Seluk aka The Awkward Yeti
I've been a devoted follower of The Awkward Yeti for a few years now and my love for his comics hasn't diminished at all. My favorite of his collections is the Heart and Brain comics. I go from laughing hysterically at the cynical Brain and overly optimistic Heart to relating to them hard. I can't recommend this comic enough!


1. Yona of the Dawn by Mizuho Kusanagi
Yona of the Dawn is hands down my favorite manga that I've ever read. It's a reverse harem fantasy manga about a spoiled princess who has to regain her throne with the help of the four dragons from her childhood friend who betrayed and murdered her father. It's all about Yona growing into the person she needs to be to protect and regain her kingdom. The characters are marvelously done! You can't help but love and cheer on Yona's little gang of misfits. Also, the romance in this series is so great!


In case you want more recommendations, here are my Honorable Mentions: 
xkcd: volume 0 by Randall Munroe
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
Giant Days by John Allison
Alex + Ada by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn
Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
The Crimson Spell by Ayano Yamane* (Yaoi)
Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan
The Demon Prince of Momochi House by Aya Shouoto

*contains explicit content

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...