Thursday, December 7, 2017

Review: The Remaking of Corbin Wale by Roan Parrish


The Remaking of Corbin Wale
Roan Parrish
Release: November 27, 2017
Goodreads Amazon
Last month, Alex Barrow’s whole life imploded—partner, home, job, all gone in forty-eight hours. But sometimes when everything falls apart, better things appear almost like magic. Now, he’s back in his Michigan hometown, finally opening the bakery he’s always dreamed of. But the pleasure of opening day is nothing compared to the lonely and beautiful man who bewitches Alex before he even orders.

Corbin Wale is a weirdo. At least, that’s what he’s heard his whole life. He knows he’s often in a fantasy world, but the things he feels are very real. And so is the reason why he can never, ever be with Alex Barrow. Even if Alex is everything he’s always fantasized about. Even if maybe, just maybe, Corbin is Alex’s fantasy too.

When Corbin begins working at the bakery, he and Alex can’t deny their connection any longer. As the holiday season works its magic, Alex yearns for the man who seems out of reach. But to be with Alex, Corbin will have to challenge every truth he’s ever known. If his holiday risk pays off, two men from different worlds will get the love they’ve always longed for.

Review:
I'm not sure I can articulate how much I loved this story in actual words that aren't "GO BUY THIS BOOK NOW! YOU CAN THANK ME LATER!" repeated over and over again. This book is weird and magical and adorable. It's what I've always imagined a romance novel that was written by Maggie Stiefvater would be like but also not. It's sweet, quirky, and a bit strange in parts and I fell in love with Roan Parrish's writing style from the first. It's a perfect read for the holiday season!

Alex Barrow has hit a rough spot in his life. He's returned to his hometown after being dumped and losing his job in a 48 hour period. Alex isn't moping about his bad luck though. He takes over his parents' coffee shop and turns it into his own bakery. He thinks things can't get any better until one of his parents' regulars pops in and he literally loses his breath over the man.

Corbin Wale is a little weird. Everyone treats him like he's a freak because he tends to lose himself inside his own head sometimes. Corbin has lead such a solitary life up till the start of this book and it broke my heart. He's believed that he'll always be alone and he's okay with that until he meets Alex.

There was so much about this story that just burrowed deep in my being and stayed there. While the story really didn't strike me as paranormal or fantasy, it had a magical and otherworldly feel to it. The way Corbin sees the world is unique and I am in awe of him. But no one, until Alex, saw Corbin at all. Not really.

Alex and Corbin are absolutely adorable. The characters in this book have a magical air to them. The romance is sweet and slow burning and if you're anything like me you'll be yelling at them to kiss already not even half way through the book. I loved their interactions and how respectful and kind Alex is to Corbin. I shipped them from their first meeting.

I think that the story is open for a sequel. Okay. I'm just really hoping for one and that it'll be about Alex's best friend, Gareth. I just want to know more about him and about what happened on his camping trip. Especially since his interactions with a certain character after the fact are a bit shifty. I'll be honest, I ship it already. I just really want Gareth to find his own happy ending, okay? Also, I need more Gareth and Corbin interactions in my life.

Overall, this book was absolutely delightful! It was sweet and cute and I couldn’t put it down once I started it. It definitely made a spot for itself on my best books of 2017 list! I'll warn you now though. Do not read this book on an empty stomach! The descriptions of food will make you want to eat every baked good you have in your house and then some. I have the biggest craving for challah right now and nowhere to buy any where I live now.


ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

    
  5 / 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...