Wednesday, January 17, 2018

We Love Lists: Book Titles That Gave Me Earworms


Christine Warren has a new shifter romance releasing this month called Baby, I'm Howling For You. I posted about it on Instagram saying that for once I actually liked the song that got stuck in my head because of a book title. And that got me thinking about some of the book-related earworms I've experienced over the years.

Sometimes the author deliberately chooses song titles for their whole series like in Warren's case. The next book in her series is called Lion Eyes. (Why she went from a 2010 song to The Eagles circa 1975, I have no idea.) And sometimes it's just my brain making a connection that no one intended but I'm stuck with anyway.

Here are my Top 5 Book Titles That Gave Me Earworms

30339479
5. You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone by Rachel Lynn Solomon 
I’ve been singing the “Cups Song” from Pitch Perfect for a week now since I saw someone talking about this book on Twitter. (I know it’s a real song outside the movie, but I don’t think I’ve actually heard it anywhere else.) Sometimes I veer off in to “Titanium” but not the whole song, just the part they sing in the shower scene.

30712676
4. Magic For Nothing by Seanan Maguire
I thought the Dire Straits reference was accidental (Remember "Money For Nothing" from the MTV commercials?) until I found out the next book in the Incryptid series is called Tricks For Free. That's the next line in the song for those of you not up on your 80's hair bands. And now I'm doomed to hear "I want my MTV" every time I see this book. Tricks For Free just went up on Netgalley so I’m having a lot of  “No, not again!” moments.

21840287
3. Tainted Blood by M.L. Brennan
This one wasn't deliberate, but the Generation V series now has me singing "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell. Seriously, why are 80's songs so darn catchy?

26089018
2. We Don't Need Another Hero by Sierra Dean
Mad Max. Tina Turner. This shouldn't be a bad one, but when I was little we had a Muppet song parodies calendar. Now I just hear my mother singing "We don't need another Gonzo. He don't even know the way home." She sounds nothing like Tina Turner.

36159798
1. Bite the Hand That Bleeds by Megan Erickson
This short takes the top spot because it's an earworm two-fer. There's the obvious one, "The Hand That Feeds" by Nine Inch Nails. But since the series is called Mission and I'm already thinking about Trent Reznor, what actually stays with me for days is "Past the Mission," this creepy, atmospheric duet he did with Tori Amos.

Do you have a song stuck in your head now too?


What title gave you an earworm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...